Named after Nobel Prize-winning Professor Ben Feringa, the new Faculty of Science and Engineering will be largest building of the University of Groningen. This new research and education facility will house 1400 students and 850 staff members. It has a surface of 64.000 square metres and includes more than three kilometres of laboratory benches. The building consists of three V-shaped wings connected by two large atriums and three gardens. The Research Cluster with the special Low-vibration laboratory and Cleanrooms are at the core of the five-storey building. The atrium provides access to the large lecture hall (accommodating 420 people), the congress centre and the restaurant.
Country: The Netherlands
Location: Campus Groningen
Client: University of Groningen
Status: Under Construction
Program: Faculty of Science and Engineering, Zernike Institute for Advance Materials, Stratingh Institute for Chemistry, Groningen Biomolecular Sciences and Biotechnology Institute, Kapteyn Astronomical Institute and SRON (Netherlands Institute for Space Research).
Architect: Ector Hoogstad Architecten
Structural Engineer: ABT
MEP Engineer: Arcadis
Laboratory Consultancy: Dr. Heinekamp